Search This Blog

Thursday, November 19, 2009

CHINA


Rick and I originally planned this trip to China with the assumption that he would be back from Alaska around October 22nd-well before we were due to leave on November 11th.  With all the amazing opportunities the Air Force affords us, it also kicks us right in the face sometimes.   I beat Rick back to Korea on November 6th, and I assumed I would have to cancel the trip.  We were booked on a group tour which meant all the other folks signed up would have to pay over $100 dollars more when we cancelled, so we were really feeling like heroes over the whole ordeal.  Rick's commander heard of the situation, and went to a lot of expense and hassle to get a pilot to Alaska to take Rick's place.  Pretty amazing that a fellow pilot would volunteer himself to fly commercial to Alaska, wait for the jets to be ready, and for them to get a tanker, and then fly an A-10 all the way back to Korea.  The fact that his commander did this, and we got a volunteer speaks volumes of Rick's reputation here.  
SO, Rick got home on November 9th (The same day I dropped the timing belt out of the car, but that is a different story)
We left on the 11th of November for China.  I reviewed the roster that listed all the people in our group.  EVERYONE on the list, including the kids,  were listed as military.  Not me.  HOUSEWIFE was my title.  Isn't that special?  At the Beijing airport our group guide, Charlie,  met us and we jumped on our tour bus bound for our first destination!  Having a guide, a set itinerary, and a bus driver made for a very efficient vacation.  It was great not having to worry about how to get somewhere, if we needed tickets, or how we were supposed to act.  Charlie just handled everything, and answered all our questions.  We first ate lunch at a Chinese restaurant that fed everyone family style.  We then were off to tour Tienanmen Square, and the Forbidden City.  Charlie was giving us the history and importance of certain aspects as we toured.  I thought being blond Amazons in Korea made you popular.  It was nothing compared to China.  We were frequently asked (or sometimes not asked) for pictures.  The blue-eyed children on our tour were crazy-popular as well.  MANY more Chinese people spoke English than what I have found in Korea.  I thought the people were much more friendly as well, and even said 'Excuse me' if they bumped into you.  Quite the contrast from Korea where it's customary to push and shove.  Many even welcomed us to China - very cool.
That night, we ate dinner at a hotel, family style, and pretty much the same things.  We were up early, and headed to the Great Wall.  The Great Wall was amazing.  It was snowing which just added to the wonderment.  The climb to the top, however, was filled with peril.  The steep, uneven stairs were packed with snow, and very slippery.  Additionally, I couldn't pass any Chinese folks without being stopped.  So, I heaved myself up the incline, posing for pictures like Ringo Starr while trying not to act winded or fall on my face. It was worth it as the view from the top was spectacular.  The were very few people up there, and with the falling snow it was quiet and peaceful. Marveling at the labor to complete such a project, I couldn't help but imagine the poor fellas that had to hike up the steep hill carrying a rock on his head while living on a cup of rice a day.  Just amazing.  At this point, I was roasting in my clothes, and I noticed Rick had peeled off most of his layers.  We began the descent down, which was almost as comical as the scramble up the Wall. It was slick enough to mostly slide down the first pass, but the rail was so low that I looked like an old lady, all bent over and clutching the handrail.  My wonderful husband got most of this on tape. Chinese folks got their cameras out and got out of the way.  I would love to know how many scrapbooks those pictures made it into. Rick and I were the last ones in the tour bus, and we were headed to the lunch and then the Summer Palace.  Since America has not ever had official royalty, it boggled my mind to see the remnants of the extravagant lifestyles of emperors.  The Summer Palace was the summer home, and grounds for the emperor.  This place is insane.  There is a palace for praying alone that you could get lost in.  There is a long corridor that was used so you wouldn't have to be in the sun to get from one end to the other.  The grounds were on a lake, and just beautiful, although the pictures don't do it much justice.  After that tour, we were off to dinner.  The tour guide sold us on getting a couple's massage.  Sounds great after a very long day of walking and climbing.  He said he would set up the appointment, and we just had to be in our hotel rooms by 7:40.  In our hotel rooms?  Isn't there a spa in the hotel that we go to?!  I decided to calm down, and go with the mindset of 'While in China, do as the Chinese do'
Stupid.
Looking back, I think this was a family operation.  I think Charlie just called his aunt up and gave her our room number.  I was so uncomfortable with the whole idea, that I sat nervously with my robe on.  Two people arrived on time, but didn't speak very much English at all.  I was relieved to see a woman and a man showed up.  I thought this was perfect, until the fella that was about 20 came at me with a little bottle of massage oil.  I laid stiffly on the bed, while he worked on my neck and head.  This was all going just fine until they instructed us to change positions.  We looked like a bunch of spastic chickens flailing on the bed trying to figure out where they wanted us to do. Turn? There? What?   While flipping over, the young gun, sneakily slipped off my robe.  I dove back to the bed, blushing, and trying not to die of embarrassment.  I noticed my wonderful husband was vocalizing his satisfaction with his massage through soft purrs.  As I lay there, trying to disappear, the young gun starts rubbing my back so vigorously that the headboard starts banging against the wall.  I think about the older couple that were staying in the room next to ours that were also on our tour.  I couldn't wait to see them at breakfast, and try to explain that we were getting massages. At this point, I just enjoyed the rest of my massage, as they spoke Chinese to each other.  They clearly had been running this little operation for quite some time, as they did an excellent job out working out the day's tension from our legs.  When done, I laid there awkwardly  while Rick got up and paid them.  They bundled up and left, thanking us.  I eyed the young gun all the way out the door to see if I detected a smirk, but I didn't.  Aside from the horror, it was a very good massage, and we both drifted to sleep.
Approximately 3:40 am, I am woken up to a pterodactyl in the bathroom.    It turned out it was Rick getting 'OH MY GOD' sick.  He came out, walking hunched over.  Our best guess at this point was he had food poisoning.  We had eaten the family style last night, and practically all the same food.  I felt so terrible for Rick who spent the next few hours going back and forth to the bathroom, and sleeping sitting up as his tummy was in knots.  Our neighbors had probably requested another room at this point.
Around 8:00 a.m., I went downstairs to find Charlie, find some medicine, and take advantage of the breakfast buffet. (Not in that order).   I explained to Charlie that Rick had some kind of food poisoning and was too sick to go on today's adventures.  Charlie seemed very concerned and wanted to know if Rick needed to go to the clinic within the hotel.  I then remembered that the hotel takes your temperature whenever you leave or enter the doors.  NO KIDDING.  China is very strict about public health, and will quarantine folks that are suspected to have H1N1.  I assure Charlie that it's just something Rick ate, and to have a great time.  I talked to some of the fantastic folks on our tour, and got Motrin, anti-nausea medication, and Pedialyte.  I felt like a LOSER of a wife for not having any of these items packed in my bag.  So, as the tour headed off to the Silk Market, I went back up to the room to dope up my husband.  I walked to the McDonalds to get us some lunch at about 3.  I didn't make eye contact with the doorman as I knew he could tell I had the health violation in my room.  Rick was able to keep down the chicken nuggets and Sprite, but felt as though he was running a fever.  DANGIT!  I pulled a large blanket from the closet, wrapped him up like a burrito, and gave him the Motrin.  I had visions of having to explain to Rick's mom, Donna, that I left her baby boy in CHINA.  I applied cool washcloths to his forehead (He didn't agree with this method, at the time)  
Charlie called around 7, to check on Rick. I assured him he was better, and would be up and at 'em tomorrow.  I woke him up, and suggested he try to get a hot shower.  He felt cooler, and I was hopeful that we would both make it out of the country.   I met the tour in the lobby, and heard about the day.  Many of the folks were going back to the large shopping area the next day, and I said Rick and I would join.  Everyone headed to dinner, and I went back up to our room to find Rick showered and sleeping.   His head felt much cooler, so I was relieved.  He slept all through the night and was all better by morning.  I was so happy he was better, and we still had one more day in China.  We met some other folks from our group in the lobby, and went to the large shopping 'mall'.  This place was three stories of bartering chaos.  There were not exactly individual shops, but  rows and rows of 6ft by 8ft booths.  You mostly find clothing, purses, luggage, watches, scarves, wood carved Chinese figures, ornaments, and shoes.  They are PACKED in there, and they all talk to you as you walk by.  
"You want scarf, friend?  I give you good morning deal."
"What you want lady?  Coach?  Prada?  Look at my shop, I give you best deal on purse"
"I have more sizes" ( I heard that A LOT)
After our first level, I was ready to light myself on fire.  Our guide had coached us on this, and this is the way they do it, but it made me CRAZY.  I like to be able to look without being asked 20 questions, and having scarves placed on my body.  I like to be able to leave an area without being tugged on.  I REALLY don't like bartering.  Tell me the price, and I decide if I want to pay it.  I don't want to spend 20 minutes bartering down in 2 dollar increments while the gal whines that she won't make any money on the deal.  I was really over the whole process, and started turning out my pockets when approached showing I didn't have any money.  That didn't work, as they looked at the only 6'6 man a foot behind me, and told me to get it from him.  You really can't get anything by them.   I stuck in there and by the end of the day, I was having fun, and joking with the vendors.  It was an enjoyable experience once I started playing the game.  It is their culture, and if you have fun, they have fun.  We went back to the hotel with a Buddha that will bring us good luck, a warrior mask that will bring us long life, and watch that will last until Christmas.  That evening, we saw a Martial Arts show at the Red Theatre. This was a very interesting production as it was very....interpretive.  The story was about a temple master telling a young apprentice the story of a legendary Kung Fu hero to give him insight into the life of a monk.  It was very high energy, and cool effects!  It was a great day, and I was thankful Rick got through it without puking.  
It was an early morning, and back to South Korea on Sunday.  Everyone in our group made it through customs, and past the health check.  FANTASTIC TRIP!

I have put all the pictures on Snapfish, and you should be able to use this link:
http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=1635907016/a=138032059_138032059/
You will notice there are basically two sets of pictures as we both had cameras.  If you have trouble viewing, just let me know.  Enjoy!





2 comments:

  1. Yahoo! I LOVED the China stories!! It truly sounds like you had the most wonderful time, with the exception of the Pterydactyl episodes!! So sorry to hear about THAT!! But, anyway, thank you, Rachel, for yet another side splitting and informative narrative! I LOVE 'EM!!! Keep 'em coming!! :o) Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The former comment is from Kristi. Why isn't that in there?????

    ReplyDelete