Despite being a month late, I did want to share our Christmas celebrations over here.
Rick and I met the mob of people calling themselves carolers, and a strong 75% had a beverage in hand. It didn't appear to be hot chocolate. I noticed two fellas pulling coolers, and one pushing a grocery cart. Not exactly the presentation I expected, but we all rolled to the next apartment. While riding the elevators I quickly realized my attire, though cute, was way to hot. I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me that everyone that lives on base would be in apartments, and we would be mostly inside. The Norman Rockwell was slowing fading away.
December 23rd. We were called at home by one of the lieutenants explaining they had organized a caroling schedule and we were to meet them. I excitedly agreed that we would be there, and ran to the closet to find my matching hat and mitten set. I haven't been caroling since I was a kid, and thought this was a wonderful way to spread the Christmas cheer in this dreary country. I had Norman Rockwell visions in my head, and couldn't wait to see the faces when they opened their doors and met with angelic singing.
What was I thinking!?
Rick and I met the mob of people calling themselves carolers, and a strong 75% had a beverage in hand. It didn't appear to be hot chocolate. I noticed two fellas pulling coolers, and one pushing a grocery cart. Not exactly the presentation I expected, but we all rolled to the next apartment. While riding the elevators I quickly realized my attire, though cute, was way to hot. I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me that everyone that lives on base would be in apartments, and we would be mostly inside. The Norman Rockwell was slowing fading away.We showed up at the first place, and after a hearty 'O Christmas Tree' we were invited in, and treated to Pizza and Beer. Wait a minute! This is not their first rodeo. I was beginning to like this type of caroling. We went on to several other homes where we were (usually) invited in and treated to food, cookies, and something to quench our thirst. After several stops and several Hot Toddies, the last stop was the squadron commander's home, and his son answered the door, took one look at the HUGE group singing a much less coordinated version of Jingle Bell Rock, and called his dad saying, "You have GOT to see this"
They invited us in and had a spread equipped with meatballs, shrimp, and other fantastic appetizers.
It was not a Norman Rockwell pictures, but it was a lot of fun, and a Christmas event I won't soon forget.
No comments:
Post a Comment