Search This Blog

Thursday, November 18, 2010

And Beagle makes three!




For my 30th birthday (30!? when did that happen) Rick had decided to get a puppy for me. He wanted it to be a surprise, but decided it was in everyone's best interest to let me in on the decision. I had always wanted a tear your throat out type dog, and Rick wanted an outside dog. We somehow came to the compromise of a beagle. We went to the couple that had POCKET beagle puppies for sale. They had two girls left. The woman, Jean, handed me a very sweet dog that had a little mohawk. Now, a dog that has a bona fide mohawk is pretty cool, and I could pretend that would be intimidating to potential intruders. She then handed me the other puppy. This puppy snuggled into my arms, looked up at me with THE sweetest face. To top it off, Jean said they had named her Peanut. SOLD.
We brought our little four pound attack dog home, and embarked on the journey that is owning a puppy. Up several times a night, puppy-proofing house, monitoring poops, etc. It's so much fun having her in the house, following us around, and seeing what makes her smile. No, she really does smile-It's the cutest thing. One thing she doesn't do, is bark. The doorbell will ring-nothing. The bug-guy comes into the house-nothing. Fat lot of good she does me as an attack dog. One day, she was sniffing around in my purse that was on the ground, and I told her, "NO". She circled the purse, and pounced on it. I yelled, "NO!"
She jumped, turned around, and BARKED at me! She then took off running.
I couldn't believe it. She won't bark to alert me of somebody at the door, but will SASS me. It's a good thing she is so dang cute.

1 comment:

  1. Too funny about the sassing! And trust me, the barking will come in time. Meg didn't bark for the first 10 or so months, and I thought I had a miracle dog. BUT something clicked when she came of age and realized her "responsibilities" around the house.... patrolling at night and barking at people outside our door. :)

    ReplyDelete