We took our first pregnancy test on a Sunday. We had decided we would wait
another week until we took a test if we had some kind of indication that I could be pregnant. I couldn't stand it. I had such a
hopeful feeling that despite having dinner plans with another couple in about an hour, I took a test. I left the test in the bathroom, and tried to look normal. I stood in the kitchen, watching the clock on the microwave. I ignored that pesky voice of reason in my head that reminded me that we weren't going to put too much pressure on ourselves, and if it didn't happen before the deployment, we would be just fine. Rick came in from the garage, and asked me why I had the weird look on my face. I just blurted out that I had peed on a stick. He asked why I would do that. UGH! I explained to him that meant I had taken a pregnancy test. He stood there waiting for my next statement. I explained I couldn't possibly go look at it, and he would have to do it. I couldn't help the swelling feeling of excitement, and I grabbed the camera. Then, thinking of the devastation of recording a negative pregnancy test, I left it on the counter, and followed him into the bathroom. He bent down and picked up the test. I peered in from the other room babbling, "I got the test that made it easy to tell, and it should have words on it, and if he could just tell me what words are on there, then we would know, but it is pretty early to be testing, so maybe it wasn't a good idea."He said, "There aren't any words."
My heart dropped, and I immediately began to hate my own guts for getting our hopes up. He then said, "But there are two lines, and that means positive" "Oh my God, it's positive."
I leapt into the bathroom, and looked at the test through blurring eyes. There was an idiot-proof box that illustrated what the two test results could be, and sure enough two bright lines were there - PREGNANT!
I threw all caution to the wind, dispelled any thoughts of taking another test, or this possibly being a false positive, and hugged Rick. Lots of crying. Crying until my nose bled. Not exactly the kodak moment I hoped for, but I was too excited to care. I wanted to tell the world! I wanted to write it on my forehead and run through the streets. This time, I listened to that voice of reason, and we called our family. More crying as I squeaked out the news. We had to cut our conversations short, and fire up the grill. Our friends, Mike and Andrea, were due at the house any minute. Nothing has been the same since....
You go, Rachel! I am SO IMPRESSED that you cried until your nose bled--that is some INTENSE HAPPINESS! AND it made for a great Kodak moment after all! We're praying for you and Rick and baby every day!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations you two!! This is very exciting news! Your life will never be the same - in a good way. And I love that you cried until your nose bled, that is one for the baby book :-)
ReplyDelete