Search This Blog

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Doctor appointments



**WARNING - Do not read this if any discussion about mysterious lady parts makes you feel faint**

Despite preparing for a deployment in a week, Rick was able to go to our first doctor appointment. My expectation was we would go in, get a sonogram of a little blob, get some questions answered, and then go to lunch. There was a little more to it. In the waiting room, I stared at the women in various stages of pregnancy. A few looked extremely uncomfortable, and hardly as excited as I was. I flipped through the pregnancy magazines and was amazed at all the gadgets advertised. I didn't know that most of these things existed, and started to feel overwhelmed with what I didn't know. We were called in. After a few pleasantries, we were informed that I would need to put on a paper gown, and the doctor would be in to do the exam. EXAM?! I thought, once pregnant, you were off the hook for THAT kind of exam. EWWW! As I got into the thin and worthless gown, I tried to prepare Rick for what was about to happen. I pointed out the instruments on the counter, and watched his eyes widen. The doctor came in and I assumed the flattering position. I tried to act cool, and 'relax' as she got started. She struck up a conversation with Rick, and they just chitty-chatted through the entire dang process. Rick did excellent and rubbed my cheeks, asking if I was okay when my entire body tensed up and I tried to keep from kicking the doctor right in her chatty face. Once done, she said I did great (whatever that means) and everything looks good. She leaves the room as I get dressed and look for my dignity. The doctor came back in and answered some questions, then let us go to the ultrasound room.
YAY!!! I knew it would just be a blob, but it would be so wonderful to actually have proof that there was a little life in there. We walked into the room, and I hopped up on the table. I gave Rick the camera, and started to roll up my shirt. The technician, who seemed irritated by my excitement, gave me a paper towel, and said I would need to go into the restroom, and take off everything from the waist down. What is the deal?! Why wasn't there a warning when I made the appointment. Something like, "We will see you at 1:00, and prepare to have your pants off the whole dang time."
I go into the room, and did as instructed. There is NO WAY to get this towel to fit around me. I crept out of the restroom, and tried to heave myself on to the table without flashing my entire backside. Once settled, the tech came over, and removed a gas pump from her console. She noticed the HORRIFIED look on my face, and said, "You know this is an internal sonogram, right"
"No, Ma'am, I didn't know such a thing existed" I squeaked.
I looked over at Rick, hoping he could come up with some alternative, but he was staring at the gas pump.
She proceeded. I thought the exam was embarrassing, but this really took the cake. I was asked to relax, and if I wasn't thinking of what a violation this was, I would have rolled my eyes. I couldn't even look at Rick.
Then, the image popped up on the screen, she pointed out a teeny tiny flicker that was the heart beating, and everything else dissolved. It was an amazing moment, and I am so so thankful Rick and I were together for it. I did still get lunch afterwards, and even got to wear my pants. We had the pictures of the little blob on the table and just marveled at the tiny life we now had proof of.





No comments:

Post a Comment