Search This Blog

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Landlord's visit

The washer stopped working yesterday.  Seems the mechanism that engages to hold the water wasn't working.  So, the water just drains.  I figured this out after I started a load of flight suits, and noticed the water was still running well after it should have been filled.  I tried all the usual things, and nothing worked.  Flight suits don't smell awesome after they have been worn all day, and they really don't smell awesome after they have been sitting  in a washer.  I did some research on-line and conceded to talking to the landlord.  I was hoping he would be over today around 5:30, so I wouldn't have to attempt a phone call.
After passing my driving test, I went to the gym.  I returned home about 2:30, and was starving.  I made myself lunch and was just sitting down to eat when the ABSURDLY loud doorbell rings.  I check the monitor, and find a nervous looking landlord.  So, 'same same' meant 3 pm..good to know.  I opened the door and great him in Korean, and we bow.  He  comes in, removes shoes, and goes directly to the light.  This is a great sign.  As he is yanking out wires from the wall, I am wondering how to explain the washer.  The first obstacle is getting him back in the laundry room.  We hadn't exactly hit it off, but when I think of the smelly pile of laundry, I figure I will hogtie him, if need be.  He completes his electrical job, and turns the light on.  Everything is in working order, and I clap and give the ridiculous double thumbs-up.  He doesn't seem to appreciate all the positive reinforcement, so I roll right into my second request.  I walk in the kitchen, towards the sliding door to the laundry room, and give him the international sign for, 'something is wrong with the washer'.  He looks genuinely frightened, but I turn and walk back into the laundry room, and he follows.  I turn on the washer, and explain it won't fill up, but just constantly drains.  I'm speaking English and using the most obvious hand signals I can think of.   He is speaking Korean, and peering inside the washer, and keeps eyeing the pile of soggy clothes.  He then gets on his cell phone.  Wow, man of action!  I take this as he is going to get a Maytag repairman over here ASAP.  Nope.  He starts speaking Korean, and then hands me the phone.  Interesting.  I take the phone and greet the person in English, hoping for the best.
"Hello." I hear from a nervous fella on the other end.
I launch into my explanation of the problem, masking my disappointment of my communication failure.  The fella on the phone then asks to speak to his dad.  The landlord had crawled behind the washer, and I prayed he was doing the math on electricity and water.  I handed the phone back and he began speaking to his son.  He hung up, and adjusted some things in the back, and then pushed the washer back against the wall.  The washer started holding water.  Yippeeee!  He spoke Korean, and explained the hoses in the back had to be held up in place.  He then pointed to the iron.  Hmmmm.  I assume he didn't want me to drop the iron in the washer....Then, I noticed he was pointing to the cord.  Oh!  I made the universal sign for, "I will find something cord-like to tie the hose in place".  He seemed relieved, and we left the laundry room.  He collected his tools and I gave him the stupid thumbs up again.  We bow all over the place, and I thank him and bid him good day  in Korean.  
Driver's test - check
New light - check
Working washer - check
Success!  I'm exhausted.

1 comment:

  1. I was laughing soooooooo hard at this!! What a scream!! I really enjoy reading this, it makes me feel like I'm a little closer to you both way over there!! Keep writing!!

    ReplyDelete