Search This Blog

Sunday, August 30, 2009

O.O.R.C









There is an event in Air Force squadrons called a 'Roll Call'.  A Roll Call  is where everyone that works in the squadron has to report to the Squadron bar, and they take roll.  After roll there is a number of team building events that builds camaraderie and allows everyone to blow off steam.   This always involves whiskey and never ever involves anyone outside the military (including me, evidently)  After the squadron bar, the fellas usually go downtown, and meet up with their wives to continue the celebration.  This generally takes place once a month.

I decided the wives' should have a similar that coincides with the Roll Calls.  This is how the O.O.R.C.  (Our Own Roll Call) was born.  Acronyms are hugely popular over here!  I was ready to 'Ops-test' my plan, and the first Roll call was on August 14.  I made a pot of chili, and put up a sign that read 'Rachel's Cantina on the apartment door.   I know Chili is not a common meal for August, but it was easy, and provided a good base for the gals that may not get out often.  The last thing I needed was some gal that had one too many cocktails and had to be hauled back to base to their disgruntled husband.  


We all had a blast.  The gals and I  ate chili, had some cocktails, and then walked downtown to the favorite bar to meet up with the fellas.  The 'new' gals were introduced to 'kettles'.  A kettle is a an adult beverage that glows in the dark, contains Soju, is presented in a tin kettle, and is drank in shots.  It basically separates the men from the boys.  

The evening was a success, and we only had one gal that may not get to attend any further O.O.R.C.s due to the hour in which she rolled home, and her inability to get out of bed the next day.   I will have to add a warning label to the sign on the door.


No comments:

Post a Comment