I return home from the gym, and went to take a shower. On my way to the master bathroom, I lock the bedroom door, and trip over my wonderful husband's HERMAN MUNSTER work boots. Grrrr. I grumble to myself about the boots and kicked them aside.
I complete my shower, wrap myself in my towel, and head to my dressing room. When I pull on the bedroom door, it does not open. I twist and turn and wiggle, and it will not unlock. Fantastic.
I manhandle the doorknob and call it terrible names. Nothing.
I review my options..I could put my sweaty clothes back on and climb down the balcony. I look out the sliding glass door, and figure I wouldn't likely break both my legs. I remember geometry was not my strongest subject, so I vote against trying to repel down the side of the building with bedsheets. I begin searching for a tool to dismantle the lock. I find a flashlight on the bed stand. Suddenly, a Macyver fever rushes over me, and I tear the clip from the flashlight and twist it into a screwdriver. I attack the lock, and I think I actually heard it chuckle. Okay, so the clip that easily bends does NOT work as a screwdriver. Noted. I go through Rick's bathroom and find a man's manicure set. Perfect. I open it up and review the contents. I first find a travel-sized corkscrew. I pull it out of the holder, and put it aside. I know it won't get the door open, but I also know I won't ever be unable to open a wine bottle due to not having the right instrument. I daydream about how I will save the day at the next cocktail party when I produce the portable corkscrew from my purse. I need to focus.
I find a manly nail file that I think will do the trick.
After hacking away at this dang lock for an hour, I realize this manly nail file will never get the job done. I'm incredibly frustrated, and my hunger pangs are weakening my mind. I survey the room, and my eyes fall on the HERMAN MUNSTER boots I tripped over earlier. I notice the knife-sized pouch above the laces. Sweet baby Moses! I pull out what can only be described as a magic wand. This is not only a knife, but several screwdrivers, pliers things, and I think a spatula. I begin removing the doorknob. Once it clangs to the ground, I switch the magic wand to pliers mode, and turn the pokey thing, and the door opens.
WAHOOOOO!!!! FREEEDDDOOOOOM!
Morals of the story:
1. Let your kids watch Macgyver
2. Be mindful of what you complain about - It just may be the thing that unlocks the door!
OOOOOOOOMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGG!!!!! Rachel, SERIOUSLY!!! You are such a good writer!! I have read this to several clients at the gym and we are all dying!! So funny!! I hope some of those classes that you've enrolled in are writing cuz you have a calling!!! SOOOO FUNNY!!!!!!!! LOVE YOU GOBS!!!! KERI
ReplyDeleteHilarious! ROFL! You are such an awesome story teller! Kelly.
ReplyDelete